Science Direct is a database of over 3,800 journal titles.
It covers a wide range of science subjects including Health Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities, Life Sciences and Physical Sciences and Engineering.
To access the database
- Go to the homepage of the NICS Library Service
- Click on the link to Online Databases on the left hand side.
- Select Science Direct from the list of databases
- Click the help icon in the top right hand corner for assistance and online tutorials.
To carry out a general search
- Enter keywords/ author/ journal or book title/ volume/ issue / page number and search.
- Refine your results using the filter options in the left hand margin by selecting year, publication type, topic and content type.
- Click relevance to sort your results.
- "Download PDFs" will download all full text results, or when not available, abstract only.
- When an article is available in full text a green square will appear beside it, a white one displays if not.
- "Advanced search" allows you to build a more concise search. You can search journals, books, reference works and images.
- To search for a specific journal: search for the journal title on the home search. You can browse through the issues on the left hand side.
- "Expert" search allows you to build a more complex search using Boolean connectors e.g. “heart attack” AND “stress”.
- Register / sign in allows you to save searches and set up alerts.
Popular Science Direct titles:
Child Abuse & Neglect
Journal of Dairy Science
Trends in Food Science & Technology
Please contact a member of the NICS library team if you require training or assistance using this database firstname.lastname@example.org